Wednesday 9 May 2012

The Strongest Force

Went running to God in tears again today, looking for answers. Instead, he met me with questions: Is Love the strongest force in the universe or not? Will it, or not, win over hatred?

This shook me from my deserved-but-destructive self-pity. Do I really believe that Love is stronger than hatred? Believe it enough to risk my pride? Enough to look like the kind of fool that returns bumbling kindness for calculated hatred?

Hate is strong. I have felt its power and its force in my life. I have been beaten and tossed by it. There is a wicked sort of wisdom in it that makes love seem by comparison foolish, naive, weak.

But Love is greater, and it must win.

I believe it. I will allow Love to demonstrate itself in my life.
Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good. (Romans 12:21)
For if you love them who love you, what thanks have you? for sinners also love those that love them. And if you do good to them who do good to you, what thanks have you? for sinners also do even the same. And if you lend to them of whom you hope to receive, what thanks have you? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again.
But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward shall be great, and you shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. (Luke 6: 32-35)
Hatred stirs up strife: but love covers all sins. (Proverbs 10:12)
Love suffers long, and is kind; love envies not; love vaunts not itself, is not puffed up, Does not behave itself rudely, seeks not her own, is not easily provoked, keeps no record of evil; Rejoices not in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; Bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails... (1Corinthians 13:4-8)
Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it: if a man would give all the wealth of his house for love, it would utterly be rejected. (Song of Solomon 8:7)
Watch, stand fast in the faith, be men, be strong. Let all your things be done with love. (1Corinthians 16:13-14)
Love is as strong as death... (Song of Solomon 8:6)
  He will not leave me alone. He will not allow me to be defeated. He will rescue. He will triumph. He will fill my life with love's rich resonance.
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. (Psalm 91:1-4)
He will.


No comments: