Saturday 23 June 2012

The Lamb Shall Lead Them

"For the Lamb who is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes." (Revelation 7:17)

The sacrificed Lamb is the Good Shepherd. He knows well what it is like to be a weak and weary human, and this gives him the final right to lead.

And God shall wipe away all tears. I am waiting for his hand on my cheek, finally ridding me of tears forever. These days, no matter how much I hurt, the tears just don't come. Can you run out of tears? I feel like I have just used up all the stores. When God wipes away my tears, it won't be like that. He will show me the purpose of all my pain, and he will put his own strength into my heart. The joy of being with Jesus and like Jesus will drive away all bitterness and all crying. He will heal all the hurt that eats at me.

I long for that day, when I meet the one who is my Shepherd and my Lamb. He will show his wounds in hands and feet, and I will show my own heart-scars. The continuing bitterness - the tears - will disappear forever, but we will carry forever the scars, He and I. They will be no longer marks of our shame, but marks of our love. We will wear them gladly, proudly.

O Shepherd! Teach me to bend before you. Remind me that you are the slain Lamb. Remind me how precious is the hurt I receive in loving you. Let me not run from my wounding. Let me hold your hand with a tighter grasp and love you more steadfastly.

No comments: