Saturday 3 November 2012

The Answer

Jim Elliot to Elisabeth in 1948:
Dearest Betty, I charge you in the name of our Unfailing Friend, do away with all waverings, bewilderment, and wonder. You have bargained for a cross. Overcome anything in the confidence of your union with Him, so that contemplating trial, enduring persecution or loneliness, you may know the blessings of the ‘joy set before.’ ‘We are the sheep of His pasture. Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise.’ And what are sheep doing going into the gate? What is their purpose inside those courts? To bleat melodies and enjoy the company of the flock? No. Those sheep were destined for the altar. Their pasture feeding had been for one purpose, to test them and fatten them for bloody sacrifice. Give Him thanks, then, that you have been counted worthy of His altars. Enter into the work with praise. (from Shadow of the Almighty, by Elisabeth Elliot)
I, too, have bargained for a cross.

Thank You, Father and Friend. You have read my heart to the very depths. You know what I desire most, and You are faithfully fulfilling that desire. Let me lie myself down on Your altar daily. Remind my dull heart what is that "joy set before", so that I may have courage to "do away with all waverings, bewilderment, and wonder..."
Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in your sight. (Matthew 11:26)

No comments: