Friday 7 September 2012

Christ in You: A Mystery

It was a dark and stormy night. The wind howled, not outside my window, but deep inside my heart. I was hated. Me, God's favorite child, hated. Despitefully used. Hurt. It was bewildering, but I appealed to God. He would come to my rescue. He would deal swiftly and surely with such an affront, I was sure.
To my great confusion, he was silent. I was heartsore.
"Father!" I cried. "Come and avenge me! Fight for me - I am your child!"
"Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name." (Psalm 91:14)
How could he refuse me?
At last, he spoke.
"If I am truly your Father," he said, "forgive."

Then again, I found myself overlooked, ignored, unloved. 
"But I have a Father," I thought. "He loves me. He will not allow such neglect of his child."
Again, he was silent.
Could it be that a loving Father would let me down in my hurt?
"Father!" I cried. "Come and rescue me! Surround me with warmth and love again."
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. (Hebrews 4:15)
Surely he would come. He knows what it feels like to hurt.
And again, I heard his voice.
"If I am truly your Father," he said, "love. And expect nothing in return."

If he is truly my Father, he can give me the power and the great freedom to will and to be like him. To seek not my own, even from him.

God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. (Colossians 1:27)

For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. (Isaiah 41:13)

No comments: