Saturday 8 September 2012

What Shall I Say?

I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.
“Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!” (John 12:24-27)

Jesus...withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, “Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done.” (Luke 22:39-42)

Jesus knew the great disconnect in the human heart, between what we choose and what we feel; what we sense and what we know. He walked straight into it, and allowed it to cut across him and separate him from all that was his. Through his rending, we have the hope of reconciliation; of pure single-heartedness before God. When will that day come, when all is made whole, when life is no longer dogged by death and love no longer shadowed by self?

No comments: