Wednesday 18 April 2012

He Delivered Me

I have been under a cloud of oppression. The enemy has roared about me and accused, blaming me and bringing up old insecurities I had long forgotten. Subtly he drew me into his web of deceit, until I was criticizing and blaming myself - I hardly knew what for. Before God, I knew my hands were clean - but still I felt myself inadequate, foolish, and at fault. I was convinced that there was some awful flaw in me beyond the ones I already know - something ugly and shameful; something to be pitied and despised. Praise God - the truth has set me free! It was all a lie from the father of lies! I feel exhausted and cheated and angry that I couldn't see past such a cheap card trick - but light has shined into my darkness and I am free! My heart has been laid bare before God, and I am entirely His own child. Sweet peace!

He sent from above, he took me; he drew me out of many waters; He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them that hated me: for they were too strong for me. They prevented me in the day of my calamity: but the LORD was my stay. He brought me forth also into a large place: he delivered me, because he delighted in me. The LORD rewarded me according to my righteousness: according to the cleanness of my hands has he recompensed me. For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God. For all his judgments were before me: and as for his statutes, I did not depart from them. I was also upright before him, and have kept myself from my iniquity. Therefore the LORD has recompensed me according to my righteousness; according to my cleanness in his eye sight. With the merciful you will show yourself merciful, and with the upright man you will show yourself upright. With the pure you will show yourself pure; and with the fraudulent you will show yourself unsavory. And the afflicted people you will save: but your eyes are on the haughty, that you may bring them down. For you are my lamp, O LORD: and the LORD will lighten my darkness. For by you I have run through a troop: by my God have I leaped over a wall. As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him. For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God? God is my strength and power: and he makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like hinds' feet: and sets me on my high places. He teaches my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms. You have also given me the shield of your salvation: and your gentleness has made me great. You have enlarged my steps under me; so that my feet did not slip. (2Samuel 22:17-37)

O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation. Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms. For the LORD is a great God, and a great King above all gods. In his hand are the deep places of the earth: the strength of the hills is his also. The sea is his, and he made it: and his hands formed the dry land. O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker. For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. (Psalm 95:1-7)



For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. (2 Corinthians 4:17-18)

No comments: